Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Interviews Round 1

Before I say anything else, here's my new web address for my photos (Picasa wanted me to start paying because I wanted to put up lots of pictures...um, how about no?)

www.community.webshots.com/users/von_Wien_mit_Liebe

And in other news, I had my first interview today for the business internship. Today was with the Bank of Austria and Dr. Oswald. I had to take the U-Bahn, and let me tell you, I was nervous. I don't know why, but subways kind of really freak me out. It turned out ok because I got off at the right stop and didn't get ticketed for not having a transportation pass. I might buy one tomorrow just for my peace of mind. I was dressed in business casual and I think I looked pretty good. My feet were hurting, so I know my shoes looked good. Dr. Oswald was in a three-piece suit. Today we spoke in English so I would understand what I would be doing for him if I took this internship. In my mind, I would be an executive assistant because I would be proofing his presentations (in German) and setting up PowerPoint presentations for him (also in German). I could work almost like a flex time schedule. He expects me to work a couple of evenings a week, maybe six hours in total at the Bank of Austria, and the rest I can do on my laptop at home. IES wants me to work ten hours a week, and if I can do some of that on my own time at home, it will be a lot more manageable with my expected class schedule. It was a really interesting interview, and I think I could learn a lot from Dr. Oswald. He's a very personable man, and he informed me that there is no dress code (yay!), which means that when Mom and Dad visit me in March or April, they can take my business clothes with them and I won't need to cart them around Europe at the end of the semester. Until then, I'll do my best to look nice.

I had planned on going to the Opera today, but yesterday I got a slip from the post office that said I had to pick up a package. I brought my passport with me to get it today and as it turns out, that one package was actually two! I got one from Mom and another from Matt. I carted them over to IES and had to have Gretl buzz me in because I couldn't hold the packages, punch in the code, and open the door all at the same time. She looked at me through the window inbetween the two doors and started laughing at me. I went in to thank her and Gretl asked if it was Christmas. In my mind, it was pretty much as good as Christmas, and I said so. Then I hauled them up four flights of stairs and opened the one from Matt because it was smaller. He sent me some Ramen, cookies, the cheese and peanut butter crackers, and a box of My Little Pony fruit snacks! There was also a letter in there, but I was really excited about the MLP fruit snacks! I shared with a couple of girls from my class and everybody that walked by was really impressed with how much my people love me.

The real trick of the day was bringing the boxes home. I had my backpack with my laptop, and then these two boxes as I was walking along the main drag in center city. Needless to say, the man at the Kebab near IES was looking at me as I carried them all home. I got a lot more looks on the S-Bahn and bus. But it was cool, because I had Christmas in January. It was kind of like being Orthodox, but even better. Getting into my building was a bit harder than imagined, but not like trying to get into IES. I didn't expect anybody to be home, so I was really surprised when I got upstairs and saw Alison and Jeremy. Jeremy asked if he could help, which was nice, but it would have been better about 45 minutes before. Then I got to unpack everything. It was amazing. I got somewhere around 28 packets of Ramen. :-) And two big tubs of extra crunchy Jif peanut butter. And lots of assorted snack food. Then Mom made my day and sent me a sweater I wanted but didn't ask for and my favorite teal purse. I was super excited. And now my whole shelf in the unit we store our dry goods in is full to the brim. It finally looks like I've moved in for a while. I like it a LOT!

And that pretty much sums up my day. Now all I have left to do is put up the Ball pictures and finish this blog and write a presentation for tomorrow's German class.

Love and kisses,
Amanda

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thrilled to hear your interview went so well, but then I expected that. Tried the link to your pictures but couldn't get it to connect, maybe you should check the address....xoxoxo mom